Thursday, August 17, 2006

 

Book review: Here Lies the Librarian


I just finished reading Here Lies the Librarian by Richard Peck. (He also wrote A Year Down Yonder and A Long Way From Chicago, as well as many other books.)

This book could be another Peck classic. It offers many laugh-out-loud moments and is packed full of wit. The story begins when Peewee and big brother Jake encounter a twister that rips through the graveyard. By then end of chapter one, if you're like me (and I know I am), I bet you'll be hooked.

If you do read the book (and I hope you do), let me know if you are surprised at the end of chapter two - I was amazed! But don't ruin the surprise for everyone else. School Library Journal has a review of the book on Amazon.com. I was going to put a link to the review, but it ruins the surprise, so don't read it until you've read the book. They list the book for grades 6-9 but I think it would be a great read aloud for grades 4-6. Like A Year Down Yonder and A Long Way From Chicago, there is some neat history woven into the story as well as some authentic vocabulary. Buckle your seatbelt and happy reading. But you don't have to take my word for it! :)


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Site Counter
Free Hit Counters
How to Eat Fried Worms sweepstakes
I'm an aunt!
more cute pictures
a new edition to the family
my first triathalon
a boy named Sue
10 year class reunion
You know you're from Wisconsin if...
the baby's on the way!
contact lens wearers beware