Wednesday, September 19, 2007

 

book review - must read!




I just finished an excellent book called The Day the World Came to Town by Jim DeFede. This is actually a nonfiction book and I don't read very many of these, but this one is very good. On 9/11 when U.S. airspace was shut down, 38 planes were forced to land in Gander, Newfoundland. This small town with a population of barely 10,000 people, suddenly was faced with taking care of 6,595 displaced passengers. On a day filled with so much tragedy and sadness, this book shows strength and compassion. It would be a wonderful book club book. The chapters are short with lots of breaks, so there are lots of stopping points - or you might find yourself thinking, "I'll read just a little bit more..."

Please take the time to read this book, and if you do, let me know what you think!

Labels:


Comments:
I've loved your book selections. I'll put this one on the list. I finished Kite Runner this summer and it was excellent!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Site Counter
Free Hit Counters
eleanor turns one
farmers markets
back from North Carolina
Lions and tigers and Betty Brinn
mmm...rhubarb
Anyone for a swim?
beef...it's what's for dinner
Book review: Kite Runner
Cash, check or charge...
7 months and growing...