Thursday, January 18, 2007

 

My Dad's "little" accident

Well, I haven't blogged for awhile but I have a good reason. For those of you who haven't heard, on Dec 1st, my dad was involved in a hunting accident. He was coming down from the tree with a climbing tree stand at about 4:00 pm and one of the straps broke. He got stuck upside down for 19 hours. The next morning my mom called the police department up north and they sent someone to look for my dad. At about 11:00 am, they found him, got him down and took him to a nearby hospital. They couldn't treat him there, so he went by helicopter to Duluth, MN where he had many surgeries. Most of the damage was to his legs from frostbite and lack of circulation. After about 3 weeks, we arranged to have him transported by ambulance to a hospital closer to home. Yesterday, after 47 days in the hospital, he came home. He still has lots of wounds and will need physical therapy, but we are very happy he is alive and doing so well. If you would like other details, please send me an email and I would be happy to fill you in.

So forgive me for not blogging. My dad has lots of stories about his experience as well as his hospital stay. He had the nurses convinced that he had to have the blinds open at 8 am every morning so he could watch a lady in the nearby building do her morning exercises in her sports bra. We found out very quickly which staff members were very gullible and the others that understood his sense of humor were often in stitches. Needless to say, our family no longer uses the expressions "out of the woods" or "just hanging around." :)

Comments:
I'm glad to hear your dad is home safe and sound. I hear you'll be the lucky caretaker for him today and tomorrow! GOOD LUCK!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Free Web Site Counter
Free Hit Counters
1 vs 100
my new chair
Pumkin Decorating
Book review: Gossamer
Calvin and Hobbes
Trick or Treat!
Halloween costume ideas for your dog
My Dad's favorite song
All I want for Christmas is ...
Tribute to Chuck Norris